Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Honor Thy Father": Key Principles and Practices in Fathering

By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families.

Opening Prayer
Song - I Thank Thee, Dear Father
Lesson - Honoring Thy Father

Discussion:
How many fathers do we have?
Answer: TWO!!!
We do have two fathers! How can we honor our Heavenly Father?
Answer: By following his commandments.
How did Jesus honor Heavenly Father?
Answer: He did nothing of himself. He wrought miracles and performed a good work on the earth; but of himself he did nothing. He said, “As I have seen my Father do, so do I” [see John 5:19]. “I came not to do my will, but the will of him that sent me” [see John 5:30]. We must come to the conclusion that the Son of God did not suggest, dictate, act, or produce any manifestation of his power, of his glory, or of his errand upon the earth, only as it came from the mind and will of his Father (DBY, 26).

“I and my Father are one,” [John 10:30] says Jesus; what, one body? No. … They are no more one person than I and one of my sons are one person. If my son receives my teaching, will walk in the path I mark out for him to walk in, if his faith is the same as mine, his purpose is the same, and he does the work of his father as Jesus did the work of his Father, then is my son one with me in the scriptural sense (DBY, 28). (source)

Our daddy has to work a lot, and it may seem at times that his role is not as important in our family, but listen to what President Hunter said "leadership of the family is [his] most important and sacred responsibility" and the "family is the most important unit in time and eternity and, as such, transcends every other interest in life." (source)
Why our dad's jobs so important?
Answer: They lead our families

The key principles for a father are:
To Preside - Over our family, scriptures, prayers, and Family Home Evening
To Partner - With his wife and his children
To Be Present - In the day to day activities of the family
To Provide - To work hard for his family and to help take care of their needs

We talked about some ways we could honor our Heavenly Father. Now lets's list some ways we can honor our dad.
Answer: (Kids's ideas)

Activity: Write out list of ways to honor Heavenly Father and Earthly Father
(hang list on fridge for easy review through out week)

Treat - Dad's favorite cake!






No comments:

Post a Comment